Looking for a nice wrapping for a gift certificate?
How about a sewn envelope made of fabric, which can also be used as a modern clutch? For this envelope you can also use fabric scraps and small pieces of fabric.
I used a few of my fabric test print swatches from Spoonflower for this, but you can of course use any fabrics you have at home.
- 2 fabric squares of the same size e.g. 30cm x 30cm (11.8 in x 11.8 in) for outer fabric and lining. The pieces will be folded in half to make the envelope.
- 1 fabric rectangle of the same width but half the height of the envelope here e.g. 30cm x 15 cm (11.8in x 6in) for the flap of the envelope. This rectangle will be also folded in half.
- 1 iron-on fleece in the size of the outer fabric here e.g. 30cm x30cm (11.8 in x 11.8 in)
- 1 iron-on fleece in the size of the rectangle here e.g. 30cm x 15 cm (11.8in x 6in)
- 1 piece of motif fabric the size of a stamp
- 1 piece of fabric for the address field
- 2-3 snaps
- Sewing thread
- Zigzag scissors
Iron the fleece onto the wrong side of the outer fabric of the envelope.
Trim the edges of the stamp and the address field with the pinking shears
Arrange the stamp and address field as you would on a regular envelope within the upper half of the outer fabric and topstitch them in place. Note that the seam will be about 1cm (0.4in) wide at the edge – leave enough space to the edge of the envelope.
Iron the fleece onto the wrong side of the fabric that will become the pocket flap.
Fold the flap inside out and press the edge.
Place the outer fabric and lining fabric wrong sides up together.
Slide the flap between the top edge of the outer fabric and lining fabric and sew the fabric layers together.
Sew the outer fabric and lining fabric on the opposite edge wrong sides up together.
Turn the envelope so that the right sides of the fabric are on the outside.
Fold the envelope in half – the flap must overlap – and sew the side edges together from the outside, as well as the edges of the flap and trim back the edges with Zigzag scissors.
Sew snaps to the back of the envelope and to the flap.
Article contains advertising
0 comments on “Envelope from fabric for gift certificate – DIY”